Monday 18 June 2012

The Asian Civilisations Museum part 1

A Singaporean friend recommended a visit here, so this was my Sunday's activity. I really enjoyed this visit. The museum covers off Singaporean history, as well as cultures of South and S E Asia. I actually ended up reading more than looking at objects (unusual for me!) Actually we have many beautiful Asian objects in the brilliant London museums like V&A, so this time the information was more interesting.

I learned a lot about Singapore's rise as a trading post, the roles of the various incoming Chinese, Indians and British.. as well as the importance of Hinduism and Buddhism across the ancient regions.

I still find it both impressive and slightly bizarre that ancient traders travelled between the Middle East and China - transporting tonnes of precious spices, ceramics, fabrics - in dodgy-looking wooden boats sewn together with rope!

Anyway, here's one of my faves from the ACM: Chinese cups, where the handle is hollow and serves as a straw to drink from. The hole in the bottom of the cup joining the 'straw' is hidden by a little animal (here a tortoise, duck and fish). Apologies for the blur, no flash pix allowed of course! You should be able to click and enlarge.





Asian Civilisations Museum
1 Empress Place, Singapore 179555
Entrance fee: SG$8
MRT: Raffles Place

No comments:

Post a Comment