Tuesday 12 June 2012

Things I miss about the UK no.1 - The NHS

I know, controversial! (And not very glamorous!) I'd never had strong views on this before. If anything I went along with all the UK press coverage moaning about how badly run the NHS* is. And it probably is, to some extent.

Then I got sick in a country without an NHS, and before I'd set up medi insurance (in fact I am not sure I have the salary to set up a comprehensive one anyway!) And all I can say is three things:
  • It is not nice awaiting test results and being twice worried: am I healthy; what kind of astronomical (and potentially unaffordable) costs will I face if I need more treatment?
  • Having to pay means one is less inclined to visit a GP at the start of illness (when it might 'just be nothing') - so things can get worse
  • The standard of service I received, paying, was probably slightly lower than the NHS treatment I've had in England!
Of course we pay hefty taxes in the UK, in part to cover the NHS. But it makes me quite proud at what a democratic country I come from, when I think that people like me, or richer, or poorer, can all get vital medical treatment without the above added worries.

Yes, medi insurance is a must here. But it is certainly not cheap (the ones offered by most employers tend to cover 'specific breakage of right index toe only'!) AND you have to find the cash to pay medical fees anyway - then get reimbursed later by the insurance company if they decide it's covered.  

* For those who don't know: the UK National Health Service offers free medical treatment to UK tax payers (actually who is eligible is controversial, so I won't go into it; but of course some people do try to exploit it). If you have eczema, you can visit a GP for free examination and diagnosis; if your appendix bursts, you can rush to A&E and they will diagnose and operate on you for free! Brits take it for granted. But we're actually very lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment