Tuesday 19 June 2012

A King Not to be Sniffed At

Yes, it is durian season in Singapore right now. I know this because:

a) I almost passed out with a gag-fest whilst innocently straying close to the Fruit & Veg section in Giant supermarket last week

b) I thought the drains had become blocked in the bathroom, but in fact it was next door's fruit stash aroma wafting through the window.

The Durian - 'King of Fruits' - is an acquired taste.

For those of you who don't know, or haven't already guessed, the durian is a popular Asian fruit that smells something rotten. (Literally) And in general, like natto, stinky tofu and others, tends to divide its audience into lovers at haters.

To be honest I can see both standpoints. As a child / teen I had no sense of smell (another story, which I will not be writing about.) During this time, I joined my parents in delighting in durians. The fruit is large and spiky (it requires a cleaver to break into one) but inside there are large seeds covered in the most delicious, though rich and pungently flavoured 'custard'. There is no other fruit like it in terms of texture.

Now I am able to smell them however, I can't go near durians, let alone eat one! And I've kinda gone off the flavour too, as it reminds me a bit of the smell.

Also beware that if you have been eating durian, the smell will permeate your skin and anything else personal to you for a couple of days! So don't have one before a hot date or job interview. They are also, famously, banned from public buildings and transport in Malaysia and Singapore!

Having said all of this. There are able-scented people all over the world rushing to eat this fruit, and thronging the durian aisle with trolleys at Giant. So it must have something going for it.


ps If you wondered why the smell and thorny shell, this is supposedly to lure large animals that travel long distances to eat the fruits. Large animals such as elephants can tackle the skin, then eat the seeds whole and disperse them. And if they're travellers, the seeds will be dispersed more widely.

No comments:

Post a Comment