Tuesday 15 May 2012

Nosh of the Day: delicious crunchy cockroach

OK this was a) Nosh of Yesterday and b) not actually eaten by me. But it is something else I encountered during my Cambodia trip. Crispy fried creatures are snacks in Cambodia (these were snapped in Battambang). In the way we might have potato crisps or peanuts with a beer in the evening, some Cambodians prefer a few fried beetles, small crunchy bats etc.

Some of my friends tried the grasshoppers on offer, and apparently they were quite nice - similar in flavour and texture to Japanese crackers.

I have some problems with the cockroaches though (they were BIG btw!) Grasshoppers, and country beetles live wholesome lives in fields and undergrowth.. but we all know where roaches like to hang out.. Perhaps there's a special 'rural breed' that is used for eating?

Yum! These are def an 'acquired taste'!

No comments:

Post a Comment