Saturday 25 October 2014

Jurong Bird Park

Finally (after nearly three years in SG) I got to visit the Bird Park! I'm a big nature fan, and particularly of bird-life, so it's been on my hit-list for months. I'd actually been advised to avoid this Bird Park, as it was apparently boring and a bit 'Disney for kids' (which would NOT be a winner for me!) But in actual fact, I enjoyed my day there. I went on a Monday, so it would be quiet. I didn't experience any Disney and you can avoid the kids' stuff if you wish.

I found the young, seemingly student-y staff particularly nice and helpful, and although getting there is a hike, there is a handy circuit bus 194 which runs from Boon Lay MRT to the park and back. 

Crowned Pigeons
But I really enjoyed seeing the birds. To me, the small, 'insignificant' ones are as interesting as the big crowd-pleasers (though harder to photograph!) And there were both to be seen here: owls, macaws, penguins, finches, doves, kingfishers, birds-of-paradise, birds of prey, dinosaur-like birds (the cassowary was especially strange/interesting!) and a lot more. The hornbills seemed to be particularly curious of their visitors, and quite a few of them swooped down to take a good close-up look at me - quite a privilege for me! The birds-of-paradise enclosure was rather ruined by the introduction of a loud TV, but otherwise the park was more 'authentic' than I expected.

And if we're going for impressive - or if you have limited time to spend at the Bird Park - I would go to the Waterfall Aviary. This one's a biggie, fitted out like a jungle walk with a huge waterfall in it. And of course, all sorts of birds living in the place if you can spot them! 


It took me about three hours to see all I wanted to, avoiding any 'feeding times' and other family-focused activities. The place is not enormous, and there are plenty of pit-stops with fans, seats and toilets. But do take water and a hand fan (and maybe some snacks) with you, as walking anywhere in SG for three hours is a hot deal!















[You can click on pix to get a slideshow / larger images]





For more about Jurong Bird Park:
http://www.birdpark.com.sg/index.html
 

No comments:

Post a Comment