Monday 23 March 2015

Sri Lanka: Does my fridge look big in this?

One curious thing which struck me as we arrived at Sri Lanka airport recently: duty- free shops selling heavy white goods.. washing machines, ovens, refrigerators etc. Hmm.. I have travelled to quite a few airports in my time, and it's the first time I've ever seen this!

On one hand: it makes sense to save duty on expensive, big things. In fact, more sense than saving tax on small items like cosmetics and alcohol. On the other hand: you can't put a refrigerator in your hand-luggage. And even if you're buying it on return to Sri Lanka as a local (which is what I guess people do?) you presumably have to have a van waiting to help take it home?

Interesting. If the logistics are easy for the latter, I am now wondering why other airports don't have duty free shops selling such things - or even for larger items, duty-free cars, for example? I can imagine these cash savings would make pretty good business, but I am guessing there must be legalities which make it not worthwhile in places like Singapore or London. 

Anyway, if you're visiting friends in Sri Lanka and want to take them a washing machine as a gift, here are some of the shops! 

http://www.airport.lk/passenger-guide/shopping-dining.php 





No comments:

Post a Comment