Thursday 7 December 2017

Matcha Addiction: latte at the Nayuta chocolatier

This place is an upmarket Japanese chocolatier, which opened this year in the Isetan flagship store in Kuala Lumpur. Very nice interior, and the homemade, Asian-themed, chocs looked great (though pricey!) But they also have a cafe, so I thought I'd try out their matcha latte.

The Verdict 
I had this drink hot. And in fact it was more of a matcha cappuccino, as there was a thick layer of milk froth on top.  Underneath, the actual green part was pretty good: bitter, with a creamy edge. Fairly authentic. But lasted for about five slurps.

The place (very quiet when I visited, on a workday afternoon) scores top marks for presentation - European style with a little biscuit, and a glass of water. And service was good. In fact the drink arrived lukewarm, and they very politely remade me a new one when I requested it hotter. 

Price was RM14.90 (GBP2.75 / SGD4.90) which is kind of OK for such a posh outlet - the portion was small, but the next door Starbucks charges RM17.90 for a plastic cup of packet-mix matcha. A larger, longer-lasting drink would have been nice, though.

I'd return to this place for the nice experience (and a quiet place to work) more than the actual drink, however. My favourite matcha houses also offer authentic, bitter green tea, but much larger portions for the price! 



Nayuta is located on the Ground Floor, Isetan, Lot10, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Also on this blog:
Isetan's new concept in Kuala Lumpur: 'The Japan Store'




No comments:

Post a Comment