Monday 5 March 2012

Japan: toilets

It's a cliche, but it had to be done. 

Japan's loos are a thing of wonder. During my brief recent visit I encountered all varieties - from the squatover pan with no toilet paper provided (e.g. Kyoto JR) to the bafflingly hi-tech.

In the techno case, you have a variety of sprays, 'bidet' and drying facilities while still sitting. Often you can  also choose duration, angle etc. Ladies toilets also usually have a sound and volume setting for modesty: recordings of gushing water sounds to disguise any, er, 'other' noises.

Basic options.

Flushing is another poser. A flush device might be recognisable from the West, but it also might be automatic, part of some light sensitive thing you need to activate, or on a wall-button nowhere near the loo. And it probably won't be indicated in English. So be warned.

At Shinjuku station I mistakenly pressed the emergency button - prompting a concerned official in uniform to come rushing into the karzy. (And requiring me to sashay out nonchalantly, pretending I didn't understand.)


A slightly more complex offer. NB: no English, though the pictograms are useful!

But the thing the Japanese really have got right: heated seats! My friends had these in their homes, and you will find them in nicer public amenities too. What comfort on a freezing February day! When I get rich, I am definitely importing this idea to my home in the UK!

No comments:

Post a Comment