Thursday 15 March 2012

Malaysia: Old China Cafe in KL

My friends took me for a scrumptious Peranakan* meal in this rather lovely place. Old fashioned furniture, fittings and photos; arts performances upstairs apparently. My friend even pointed out that the lights were on old-style pulleys.

*Peranakan, or Nyonya, food is the traditional cuisine of the intermarried Chinese/Malay communities from the Malaccan Straits. These people are known as Babas (men) and Nyonyas (women) and have their own traditional customs and dress, as well as food. In terms of flavour - I guess I would call this nosh Malay with more fragrance and subtlety (and possibly variety?). Lots of delicately flavoured curries, aubergine, ingeniously steamed chicken and fish... Overall: bloomin yum!

Upstairs
Old China Cafe: 11, Jalan Balai Polis, 50000 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment