Sunday 16 December 2012

And a little nicer... Tsujiri

Yep, back on the desserts wagon. I am becoming known as one of those with, as the Japanese say, a 'betsu bara' or 'second stomach', reserved for puddings! (Though I am by no means alone!)

Today I went with a friend to try out the new Singapore branch of Kyoto's renowned Tsujiri outlet. Tsujiri is famous for matcha (very fine, good quality green-tea powder). So here you will find matcha cakes, teas, shakes and desserts. In Singapore, it's a small, modern, unglamorous place at Tanjong Pagar, but the fare was pretty good.

My try: a shiratama parfait (squidgy shiratama balls, matcha jelly, red bean ankou, smooth Mr Whippy-style matcha ice cream); plus a rather nice hot yuzu* citron tea.



The parfait was yummy - I am no expert but my friend was impressed with the shiratama, and I personally much preferred this kind of smooth, green-tea ice cream to the often ice-gritty stuff you find elsewhere.

The yuzu tea was like a hot marmalade tea - sweetish and with real fruit peel pieces in it. A little medicinal perhaps, if you are from Europe - but actually perfect and comforting for me, as I currently have laryngitis!


www.tsujiri.sg

* Yuzu is a Japanese citrus fruit which has a taste somewhere between an orange and a lime. (Not as tart as a lemon.) It is used quite a lot in Japanese cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment