Wednesday 23 January 2013

Polidor à Paris - and extremely fast, slow food

Or maybe that's 'en' Paris'?
 
Anyway, I visited many nice places during my recent, brief trip to Paris. And this one was a recommendation from a cultured friend. Polidor is a proper, old-style, hearty-fare type French restaurant. It's the kind of place you go to spend a relaxed evening talking, enjoying the food, wine and ambience in true Parisien fashion.
 
Unfortunately our experience was one of 'extreme fast food'. (Not Polidor's fault!) Though I commend the staff (a not overly polite, but nevertheless efficient older lady) for whipping through our order so fast. I had planned an hour-and-a-half supper here, prior to catching my Eurostar home to London. My friend then got caught in traffic on her way from a meeting; EYE then got stuck in a broken Metro on my way from the hotel. In the end - 30 mins at Polidor! In fact the restaurant doesn't open until 7pm, so don't think you can squeeze in a very early one.


The clock was not showing the correct time - perhaps a good thing?
At superspeed I had the Saucisson Lyonnais: boiled potatoes, onion, and large slices of boiled sausage. It came with fresh bread and iced water. I didn't have time for wine!
 
To be honest the first 15 minutes were ruined by a pair of badly-behaved children - and thankfully I am not sure this is a particularly family oreinted eaterie - but after they left, I can see that Polidor would be a very nice place to spend an evening; even a romantic one. Just make sure you allow time.


Polidor, 41 Rue Monsieur le Prince, Paris 75006

No comments:

Post a Comment