Wednesday 23 January 2013

Royce's potatochip chocolate

I got given some of these famous chocolate crinkle crisps* for Christmas. I'd heard good things about them - so was quite excited to try. Royce is a Japanese confectioner which does very expensive, very good chocolate. We have branches in Singapore.

I guess one issue with this trial is that everything melts in the tropics. Especially if it is a thin layer of chocolate. And you don't get the full experience from refrigerated chocolate - but it had to be! (This also tragically led to me having to wolf down a large quantity of these snacks in a short timespan. ^^) 

Once you unpack them, the choc chips are in a bag, like a bag of potato chips. Not as glam as some of Royce's other packaging. But I guess it's got character.

The personal verdict: Basically these are McCoys crinkle crisps covered in chocolate. There is nothing very artful about it! OK the crisps are not BBQ or Salt'n'Vinegar flavour, thank goodness, but they are not sweet. All in all I didn't find them so yucky I couldn't finish eating them (haha). But I was not bowled over, and a little bit glad I hadn't paid $$ for them. Good to try such a curious invention, though!

Royce's Nama chocolate on the other hand... (A friend and I have been working our way through the flavours - I feel I might have to purchase some for another review..!)

 
 





* In the UK we call them 'crisps', in the US they're known as 'potato chips'.

No comments:

Post a Comment