Saturday 2 November 2013

Nosh of the Day: Butterfish, Japanese style

OK I am not sure of the details of this, as I was not blog-prepared with notebook or camera. Only that a friend took me to a very authentic Japanese restaurant in Singapore and I chose the Butterfish Set. As a set it came with rice, miso soup and kobachi (こばち little side dishes - in this case pickles and kind of marinated cabbage). And the main was this amazing fish with tofu. I've never seen a butterfish before (even during Scuba!) but the meat was white and firmish - texture a little like unsmoked mackerel. It was in a very nice, light, sweetish sauce which my friend described as a bit of soy, miso, mirin (a kind of cooking sake). I think it's quite a common Japanese sauce.

Anyway, a tasty find. And do try butterfish if you see it.

 
I also tried a new dessert at this restaurant - it was a kind of Warabimochi jelly. Warabimochi is a kind of mochi made from a fern, and is extremely sticky (so much so that you have to serve it with a powder of some sort or it gets stuck to everything!) This version was actually a black, slightly sticky, clear jelly, served with sesame powder. Also very nice!

More reading: Nosh of the Day: warabimochi & anmitsu

No comments:

Post a Comment