Friday 1 July 2016

Matcha of the Day: Kiwami o-matcha

Kiwami o-matcha 極みお抹茶 (or 'ultimate matcha') is currently being served at Tsujiri, my fave outlet in Singapore for green-tea treats. So I thought I'd try it on my way in to work today.

It's does not look like its poster. What I got was this fab, stripy-camouflage thing! The dark stripes are actually a high quality matcha mixed with honey, and drizzled around the cup before they add the ice-blended matcha. In fact the milk is also supposed to be higher quality than usual.

Brits might be surprised to hear this, but even regular-priced authentic Japanese outlets can be very exacting about their product. They WILL test regular milk against Hokkaido milk, for example, and see which one their customers will like. (Tsujiri certainly does, as their boss once asked me to try soft ice-cream made with different milks, and give her my opinion!)

Anyway, The Verdict: It was nice, though I also like the regular ice-blended version. The sweetness is honey sweetness, rather than syrup, and there is a stonger taste of (bitter) matcha. I guess it's more like how nature would have intended a matcha slushie to be! The milk was a little richer, but I couldn't taste it hugely against the stronger honey/bitter elements.

Either way, it's only an extra 30c, so why not try it? I might certainly order it again.


Tsujiri in Singapore: http://www.tsujiri.sg/

More reading on this blog: Matcha Addiction: An Introduction
Or just click the Matcha Addiction menu!


No comments:

Post a Comment