Sunday 1 July 2012

Singapore, PC and semantics

This week I had to use a term I don't like to describe myself. I was at a medi centre where they required my race for their records. After attempting to accurately describe my slightly complex multi-racial background to blank faces, I opted for Eurasian.

This term is used openly in Singapore in official processes, and socially - in a way it would never be used in Britain. In terms of form-filling I partly understand the need to be brief. But in England we would just say 'mixed-race' or 'mixed-race Asian/European'. It's not too accurate, but at least it's not offensive!

To me the specific term 'Eurasian' has derogatory connotations and I don't like it at all. Having grown up with a British, middle-class, ex-colonial family, my understanding of the word is that it relates to this hierarchy:

1. White
2. Eurasian
3. Asian

The tacit assumption, in this stratum of British society at least, is that 'Eurasians' are a little superior to Asians (by virtue of our whiteness) but a little inferior to whites (because of our Asian blood). Not really something one might wish to perpetuate in the 21st century! And today the term is uncommon in the UK, for these reasons. (Though I know the view is still privately held by some people.)

I am proud of my background. In today's global marketplace, mixed-race people often have an advantage in terms of adaptability, cultural awareness and languages. I think science and business now know that generally strength lies in diversity, not homogeneity. And we probably don't even need to start on which region of the world will hold economic power this century. So pro-white derogatory terms are outmoded as well as unhelpful.

On the accuracy note, Eurasian also describes an infinite number of permutations. As a 'Eurasian' I get lumped into the same category as an Iranian-Spaniard, a Lithuanian-Korean or a Kazakh-Greek - and most of us share no ethnic or cultural ties whatsoever! And it's not 100% flattering to be defined with a very general identity like this. 

[I know a similar situation arises from saying you are simply 'Asian' or 'European' but in Singapore at least, you get a choice if you happen to be ethnically Chinese, Indian or Malay!]

The British ruled Singapore from 1826 - 1963, and overall I am not sure if 'Eurasian' is still used here because:
a) It is a colonial hangover, and Singapore is still living in a peculiar 'un-PC' British past (there are other factors here which suggest this could be the case!)
b) It just has no connotations here, as Singapore is already so multi-ethnic. ie It's just not a big deal because most people are a mish-mash of some sort.

Different countries' histories bring about different meanings and naunces to words. I remember talking with a Chinese-Canadian friend who found 'oriental' offensive when applied to people. To her (and other North Americans) 'oriental' is something you use to describe rugs, pottery or other chattels - not human beings. In the UK I don't think this negative association exists.

And about PC
I have yet to suss out political correctness (by which I simply mean 'equal respect and opportunities') in Singapore.

My UK ex-pat friends all tell me it doesn't exist, though I think it does - but in different ways.. and perhaps these relate to traditional culture rather than modernity? For example, there is respect for the elderly and infirm here which we do not have in Britain. But if you are a single and female, many doors will be inexplicably closed. There appears to be a general acceptance of many ethnicities.. but within those there are underlying prejudices held by different groups. It's probably a whole series of blog posts in its own right - if I ever do manage to understand or articulate it.

So more later! (Possibly.)

No comments:

Post a Comment