Wednesday 25 July 2012

Sweet and soursop

OK, nothing below probably looks too yum, especially to the Western eye. But I can assure you it all is! Like so many things in Asia, don't judge by the appearance.

I was first intrigued when I saw these giant green armoured slugs at a fruit stall in Singapore's Chinatown. The fruit seller told me they were soursop. I got ranging descriptions from friends about this fruit 'it's kinda sweet' 'it's sour' (you would expect sour, after all!) So the next time I was at Tiong Bahru market's shaved ice stand I ordered the 'tadpole, soursop, almond jelly' combo. And here's what it's like:

The shaved ice combo was yum.
The soursop in it was also yum - it is both sweet and tart. Fruit pieces consist of small 'envelopes' each surrounding a flat, black stone, similar to a custard apple's (in fact the fruits are related). The white, fruity part is textured a little like a fibrous and very ripe peach!

For this dish, the soursop pieces were in a syrup, which probably added to the sweetness element. Definitely worth giving both the soursop and the shaved ice with tadpoles a try!



* Not real tadpoles btw. They are actually small jelly balls, or (in the case of the grey ones) tiny fleshy seeds in syrup.

Open soursop image courtesy sixmonthseaside blog

No comments:

Post a Comment