Thursday 19 April 2018

#RefuseTheStraw update

I can't remember which week this is. But I've been failing massively with this initiative in Malaysia, not to mention a general daily encrustation with other plastics (bags, water bottles, takeaway packaging.. ). (I'm on the hoof at the moment, so in temporary accommodation, without kitchen etc!)

It's not good. 

But what's a bit better is the acquisition of a reusable steel straw. FINALLY! In fact I was hoping to receive a set in a birthday package - but it turned out that six out of eight parcels sent from the UK were 'lost' (apparently most likely stolen) in the Malaysian postal system. And the straws went too. 

So how delighted was I to find that some friends have set up a scuba travel company, and they're also supporting #RefuseTheStraw as part of its conservation efforts. And for merch, I managed to purchase a very jolly box with a steel straw, cleaner, and clips for keeping my own - reusable - chopsticks. (The box is also made of old shells, apparently, and is biodegradable..) 

How to proceed with hawker drinks, and a few other traditional things here, remains to be seen. But everything else requiring a straw can now be plastic-free for me. A small step in the right direction. Huzzah! 



(More images from my ample hand modelling portfolio..)

If anyone is interested in scuba holidays, btw, you can check out my friends' site here:
https://www.scuba-concierge.com/


Also on this blog:
Operating #RefuseTheStraw in Asia: Week 1 
Bags of Fun! Eco Practices East and West


No comments:

Post a Comment