Sunday 29 April 2018

Manspreading

This is the act of men sitting (usually on public transport / in cinemas etc) with their legs so widely splayed apart, that it makes things uncomfortable for the people sitting either side.

OK, turns out there has been a lot of world controversy over manspreading, internet campaigns shaming spreaders (which I don't particularly agree with) and backlashes. But the bottom line is that manspreading (or as it's known among my friends 'attempting the box splits') in public is just plain inconsiderate. And there does seem to be an odd propensity for men to 'spread' and crush females more than other males. Even worse are the spreaders who also stretch their arms out along the backs of their adjoining seats (as one might to a known partner!) It's kinda disrespectful to do all this to any stranger's space. And it's not uncommon to experience being crushed like this in London / Western cities.

But manspreading does not really exist in SE Asia. I have experienced it once from a Chinese guy in Singapore (in five years of living/commuting here!). And, really - praise the Lord! - what relief to be able to travel in relative spatial comfort!

Alright, I know that in general, East Asian men don't have the long legs that some Westerners do. And I do have sympathy with really tall guys anywhere who try to fit into cramped seating. So anyone over 6' 3" (190cm) can probably be exempt from 'spreading' criticism. But even Western men of normal or smaller height spread. A show of machismo? Territorial marking? Ill-fitting jeans?? Thong underwear?? All of the above? 

Whatever the reason, it's not attractive. And not very nice. And I've got to the point where I will politely tell any spreader to kindly remove his leg / arm from my space.

My experience is that in East Asian culture, men - socially and otherwise - are probably less likely to do macho, chest-beating, 'look-at-me'. Which some (FYI not all!) Western men do. I don't know about other cultures. Over in SE Asia, it's just not really the thing to do macho displays on places like public transport. Which possibly explains the lack of manspreading thereon?

OR, Asian men just make wiser fashion choices?

As I've said before, there is still a heap of stuff I admire about the West. But manspreading is certainly not one of them! 

Seems The New Yorker has the same sentiments!


Also on this blog:
Pseudo-ku : the curse of the 'intellectual'

No comments:

Post a Comment