Tuesday 17 April 2012

Singapore: bag lady

OK, we can recycle a lot here (including that vital plastic packaging that they're generally bad at taking in London*). But what's with the supermarket bags? At the checkout they literally pack every one or two items into a separate bag. And then the bag states 'let's cut down on our use of plastic bags'.

Some UK supermarkets won't even give you ONE bag - they expect you to bring your own, or they charge you a fee for it. I have a sneaky feeling that this has little to do with the environment, but more about handy 'cash savings / extra revenue stream for the store' - and I don't like this fakey policy either. Plus I'm no eco-warrior ...but going home with seven separate shopping bags for a one-person shop?!

Incidentally, on my first few Singapore visits I said something along the lines of: "Can I just have one bag, to save on plastic? I don't need more than one," which was greeted by cashiers with a look that broadly conveyed: 'What the hell are you on about, woman? Bloomin expats, always rabbitting on about something!'. I have since discovered from some Japanese expat friends that the understood phrase is a flat, Singlish 'No need.' ^^







*There are 32 boroughs (areas) in London, each with their own local council, which supposedly handles recycling (among many other things, which we pay for with a hefty Council Tax). Some boroughs are good at it. Others are at best clueless and the general public view is that this 'recycling' secretly goes into Indonesian landfill, because it's cheaper for the council. (I don't know if this is true or not!)

No comments:

Post a Comment