Wednesday 25 April 2012

Singapore: Chinatown

Free Sunday, sunshine, charged-up camera. Time for some exploration! I'd seen Little India and the Arab quarter on previous visits, so Chinatown it was.

A Chinatown in Chinese Singapore? I hear you cry! Well Chinatown is an expat term; locals apparently use the original Chinese or Malay names for the area. Plus Singapore was once a British Colony, and back then, it seems this district was more concentrated with Chinese residents.

Today, a lot of the area's small streets and pretty, shophouse-style architecture is listed, and you will find 'trendy' SMEs have their offices here. Some parts are also heinously touristy. I avoided the latter as much as possible, and wandered other streets. I even found  some graffiti, and a small, hidden park behind a row of houses!

(Again, ridiculous Blogger picture layout - it won't even load in the order I specify and has started deleting pix I try to caption! - but click on images to enlarge!)




Buddha Tooth Relic Temple


Affectionate pigeons in the park!
Graffiti by graphics agency on their own offices - I doubt it would be tolerated otherwise in Singapore!







No comments:

Post a Comment